Friday, October 28, 2011

Well Mom...I was in the church kitchen this week!! All those years you tried to get me to cook the meal for Wednesday night meal at church (cooking for about 100-120 people) and I hesitated, drag my feet...well we(Kurt, myself and a team of friends and teens from the high school group) did it! This was my 2nd attempt. The 1st time was in February of last year, but at that time I was able to talk to you about the menu, quantities, and whatever else I needed. Now that night you wanted to come to church, but you were not feeling well. Dad had the camera and took pictures, so you could see how things went. That night I was disappointed that you couldn't be there or come through the back door of the kitchen at church to give me a hug and your "you got it under control" speech!! But who would have ever thought that the next time we cooked the meal, you wouldn't be here at all!!! Man was it tough to be in the kitchen, but memories of you were shared throughout the evening while we prepared the food. Laura and I brought up the "don't spill the grease on the floor" incident, we made sure we used the carts for carrying the groceries in, phrases/directions that you had given us before came to mind. After it was all done, I evaluated the night and began taking mental notes of what I will do next time...I guess that means I am thinking about doing it again!! Another interesting thing that happened that evening, was that I have the high schoolers help serve the meal. It is so amazing to watch the interaction of the teens and the adults! The room was filled with christian fellowship and joy! Then last night Mia and Livi helped me cook super at home, better start training them now!!! No, I just thought it would be fun to have the girls help me make pot stickers. Mia always likes helping me with those, but it was Livi's 1st time. The girls did wonderful and even though I had to get a little firm because water was going everywhere, it was fun!
Love you so much!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Jenn....some of those "tough" times that just plain hurt, but oh, the joy we can have because we can remember, and laugh and share with others who care! Thinking of you all as you go through the coming weeks....Love you guys! David and Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jenny,
    Dinner was a big hit! Mom was smiling, I'm sure. Her presence is felt, always.
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete