Saturday, April 11, 2020

Shelter in place grants me a moment to blog

Well, mom, it's been awhile since I typed a message. Life for me is obviously busy and I am not getting too many moments to sit, reflect, and type up some notes. I am however, making sure that I spend time in God's Word quietly in the mornings before everyone else wakes up. This has been a super special time, but it seems that I spend time praying, reading, and studying and the time flies by. I like to type these notes to you when no one is around and no distractions because it's a good time for me to reflect and yes, I usually ball my eyes out.
So, let's get started with a brief summary: after grandpa's funeral, we went on vacation to Florida. The girls loved our beach vacation. This was the 1st time that Livi got to enjoy the beach for days on end.  The other beaches we have visited on the west coast and also in Maine had been too chilly. We then stopped in Orlando....no Disney, but went to visit dear friends, Butch and Teri with Dad and Laurie with their new motor home. Oh my word, mom....it's crazy big. I'm sure there will be many memories to share about that.Teri passed away shortly after we had been there, she was such a dear friend to you and me as well. I'm sure you have already had a few gatherings together! From Orlando, we went to Savannah with Dad and Laurie and then up to visit Gary and Lisa in North Carolina....beautiful! Kurt and Mia went on the youth roadtrip while Livi and I hung out in Rockford making some special memories.We finished the rest of the summer with pool visits and just some good family time.
In the fall, Mia took driver's ed and has her permit. Oh man, you told me this day was coming but I didn't realize how hard it is on my heart. Mom she's growing up sooooo fast, but she is a beautiful young lady. You would be so proud of her and she misses you terribly. She's taking 3 advanced placement classes that if she passes the test, they count for college credit. She is thinking about a career in the medical field, maybe a psychologist. Livi is in 5th grade and quiet the creative, social butterfly. She melts my heart every time I look at her. She is witty, smart, and so much like her daddy. You would get a kick out of this one. She just celebrated her 11th birthday and we said she could get her ears pierced...mom, I almost shed a tear when she got it done because it was a moment of my little girl growing up! Being a mom is hard, it's so emotional. These girls are such a wonderful blessing. Kurt has been busy in his studio, getting new gigs to display his artwork, and redesigning his online presentation. He has also been teaching Mia the rules of the road.
In January, the family was told that grandma Anderson was really not doing well. She passed away on January 14th, just a few days before her birthday. We miss her terribly, but know that God has promised a place with no pain, no tears, and a new body for her and that is the hope that I live for. Our hearts are also very heavy because our dear friends lost their 10 year old son. Death brings about so many fears, questions, and so much sadness. This past year has been a gloomy year. I want to say something encouraging right here, but it's tough. What brings us through a dark time? HOPE, LOVE, PEACE all grounded in our faith in Jesus Christ.
So, the reason I have some time to actually blog is because the world is going through a crisis. There is a virus called COVID-19 and it is killing hundreds of thousands of people around the world. We have been under a "shelter in place" rule to keep the virus from spreading. Hospitals won't have enough beds for people if we don't keep from spreading it. The shut downs started on Friday, March 13th and as of right now we are not going back to school until May, but my feeling is that we are not going back to school until the fall. Life has changed....working and schooling from home! Time on our hands because everything is closed! Family time! We are using technology to connect with people (we can talk to one or many people at the same time with live video!!!! something I dreamed of as a teenager...hahhahah)!  Video church from home and chatting during service! Grocery store visits are just weird (empty shelves, masked customers, hand sanitizing in every isle, staying 6 feet away from anyone, running if you hear someone cough)! We visit family on their front lawn (6 feet away), no hugging and leave chalk messages in driveways or flags on the lawns of friends. We stay up late and sleep in! I planted flowers (amazing), completed puzzles, read books, spend more time with God, Lego building, movies and family games. This is something crazy...this will change life...what the other side of this looks like is a wonder. We are all looking forward to being together again. I think about what the celebrations will be like when we get to hug our people again and it makes me wonder if it will be a small taste of our heavenly celebrations when we meet on the shore or walking the street of gold or when together we praise our Heavenly Father together! Until the next post, I love you momma!
To everyone reading this, stay healthy, safe, and connected!
Love, Jenny

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jenny it has been quite the year for you. When I go by a picture of your Mom it always makes me smile. Kids do make you so emotional and that time goes so quickly. So many ups and downs but mostly ups. Hugs to you. Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty! Miss seeing and giving you a Sunday hug!!

      Delete