Monday, May 15, 2017

What matters?

Good morning Mom,
Happy Mother's Day..only a day late!
I can't believe that it has been a year since the last time I sat down and did some blogging. Life has changed. Most days I just go through the motions to get to the next thing/day. Is it really that I'm busy or is it that the busyness of life distracts me from what matters? I have noticed this year that I have been struggling with relationships. I yearn for relationships that are meaningful, deep and supportive, but along with those strong relationships comes hurt and disappointment. Building good relationships requires me to grow and I have to endure some growing pains. My heart is still tender and guarded which means the the struggle to deepen relationships will require me to let my guard down. I didn't notice this struggle until recently. Now that I am aware of why sometimes I just want to curl up and keep to myself instead of reaching out, I will pray that God will take me where I need to go. I pray that God will strengthen relationships, bring new ones into my life, and renew ones that I have let go of. This list sounds like God is going to be busy, but with HIM I can do all things!!! I guess I just needed to write this out because 6, 7, or 8 years ago, we would have had this discussion. You probably would have noticed my attitude and set me straight...you're my Mom you helped remind me of what matters....people matter....love matters....following God matters!
Now, here's a catch up of that busyness...our family has been crazy growing this year! Mia has 17 days left of 7th grade...can you believe it!! She is almost as tall as me and can't wait to reach that status. She is still very sweet and tenderhearted.  She has been on the A/B honor every quarter while also playing basketball in the fall/winter and volleyball in the winter/spring. She has also been involved in youth group (StuCo) at church. She has been participating in the student led Sundays with worship. She loves to hang out with friends. She is an amazing big sister. She would continue to melt your heart!! I know that she misses those intimate conversations that her and grandma used to have As we begin enter the teenage years,  I wish she still had you hear for those conversations. I pray that we have surrounded her with Christian, adult women to support her and us through this next phase of life.
Liviana Grace is so different from Mia. She is very free-spirited, dramatic, and fancy with some sassy. We are encouraging her strong characteristics to curve towards positive things...like being a good leader, bringing out her artsy side, making sure she includes everyone and making sure she shares her ideas kindly. Whew!!! Sometimes we think the girls have flip-flopped ages. Livi loves to giggle with her friends, play Legos, paint, dance, gymnastics (we need to get her in a class again), and wear sparkles. She struggled with reading at the beginning of the year, but now it's amazing to hear her read. She would rather do math. She is very much into technology, which we have to monitor..hahaha!! This would melt your heart,too...she loves to be in the kitchen, watch Food Network, and cook right beside me. Watch out world, hear comes another generation of good cooking!
And, the girls love taking care of their 6 month old puppy,Nori. We got the girls a puppy for Christmas. Both girls has some tears of joy when the saw her for the 1st time. Nori is a little black Cockapoo. Oh my goodness is she fun to have! She melts my heart as well and Nori is working on Kurt.
Kurt has been busy painting and applying for art galleries. In the fall he was accepted into a gallery on a short term agreement basis in Raleigh, NC. So, the 2 of us went to Raleigh for a long weekend. His work is currently there, but there hasn't been as much communication as he had hoped. Not to long after we returned, he found out about a brand new gallery opening in Evanston, IL. He had applied to the call for artist add and was accepted. This is very exciting because it's not just a show, he is there and a part of something new. The Evanston Ice House Gallery will open June 1st ish.
As for me, I just keep plugging away at my job in RPS205 as a Assistive Technology Consultant. I love it!! Both Kurt and I are active youth sponsors and enjoy working with the junior high and high school students. Watching God work in their lives brings me to my knees. This group of students has taught me so much. They are brave, courageous, thinkers, full of energy, open, and yes there is some of the "other" teenage stuff, but we just pray God changes that. It's fun to watch Mia grow and mingle with friends. I remember how much you and dad were a part of supporting the youth. Thank you for making sacrifices to teach me and many others about God's love during our teenage years!!
Kurt and I are also small group leaders and have a wonderful group of individuals in our group. God is working in our lives as we humbly try to lead this group. Watching young adults interact and learn from more seasoned adult Christians, is so exciting because they are learning from each other.
I am going to close for now. My hope is to write more often.
Love, Jenny

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Jenny. Your mom would be so pleased with your heart which mirrors the heart of God.

    Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl! So happy to see you pouring out your heart again! I love knowing what's going on with my 1st friend, my older sister ;-) We must make the time to get together this summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I love your sweet spirit and love for your family. God has you right where he wants you and whatever your frustrations are about relationships will probably change. (It's been my struggle for years) At this time I feel it's God telling me my focus needs to be on him. He is my anchor after that it all falls into place.You are a bright shiningl star in your home and church. I pray that you will find rest in Him this week. God bless you and your family. Keep treasuring the moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, thank you for sharing your heart. A little sermon
    for you if you have time

    Click here for the full message from Pastor Mary... https://vimeo.com/217390925

    ReplyDelete